A Collection of Firsts: Food Edition ๐Ÿ•

 

A Collection of Firsts: Food Edition ๐Ÿ•







(in Romania, of all places)

➵ Fฮฟodiefood edition


1. Doner Kebab!!! ๐Ÿ†˜ 

It's definitely not the real deal (I know Gizem, I know!), but it has saved us on many drunken nights when we were stumbling home and looking for something yummy and filling to fill our stomachs. Cannot wait to finally travel to Turkey to taste a proper Kebab ✌

2. Mamaliga ๐Ÿ‘ ๐Ÿ™Š

This Romanian traditional dish is very similar to Italian Polenta, so I somehow knew what to expect when I first tried it. I have to say, it can be tasty if mixed with an abundant dose of Smรขntรขnฤƒ (Romanian typical soft cheese), but it is still not one of my favorites altogether. Italy wins this one, scuze Romania! 

3. Tahini ๐Ÿฏ

This delicious paste made out of toasted grounded sesame is just the perfect addition to your morning or afternoon toast! Watch out though, it's not poor in calories so handle with care! 

4. Tourlou ๐Ÿฒ

Greek ratatouille. Fresh veggies chopped up and oven-cooked slowly with tomato sauce. What's not to love? Requires the expertise of a Greek national to make, or anyone who knows what they're doing, really. 

5. Omelette ๐Ÿณ

Obviously, I had had omolette before. Many of them, in fact! Anyway, I wanted to include this dish in the list because over this past 10 months I perfected it to a point of just being able to add anything to it and still making it tasty. It's basic, fast, cheap, yet delicious food. Flatmates pleaser and feel-good. L O V E ๐Ÿ’“

6. Tortilla ๐Ÿž 

This one deserves a spot on the list just because of the life-safer element it has. I think we've legit survived on tortillas and coffee for days at end, and it's so cheap and versatile! You just need a good press, or even just a flat pan would work, some cheese, a tortilla, and some sauce. Guaranteed full belly, and taste buds satisfied ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Bigos ๐Ÿœ 

This filling, super tasty Polish dish has made our winter evenings just a tad warmer. Thanks to Karo, who's an amazing cook and beautiful messenger of her country's culinary culture, I got to experience the richness of flavor of this amazing traditional dish. We even called her mom to thank her for the recipe afterwards. In Polish, of course!

8. Pancakes ๐Ÿช

A big hit for our family breakfasts. Caro and I perfected our own recipe to make the pancakes fluffy and thick, and we just splashed as much jelly, peanut butter and Nutella on top as we wanted, just to spike our glucose level at the top of their possibilities. Highly recommended to have a sugar rush in the morning (or, in our case, early afternoon...). 

9. Parmigiana ๐Ÿ†

This deserves a honor mention just because of the fact that I, talentless and uninspired chef all my life, MADE IT! This is the magic of quarantine, that forces you to find ways to challenge yourself in order to kill your boredom, but still. Also, shout out to Spyros for being the best assistant I could have asked for. ๐Ÿ’›

10. Merdenea, Covrigi, Covridog ๐Ÿ•

Last but not least, some of the nice sweet and savory pastries that I had countless times while walking home from activities. Cheap, fresh and heart-warming, they are sometimes the highlight of an otherwise boring diet for the average Resita volunteer. If you have the chance, try them out, they will not disappoint!


๐Ÿ’ซ  Special mention goes to Freddo Espresso and Freddo Capuccino, two of the most lovely coffee drinks that I've ever had the pleasure to try, and most definitely the most appreciated and adored drink that was ever prepared for me by my fav amateur/professional barista. ☕

ฮ•ฯ…ฯ‡ฮฑฯฮนฯƒฯ„ฯŽ ฯ€ฮฟฮปฯ! ❤



⚡ ๐ŸŽง  ๐ŸŽˆ Link to "Opa! A Volunteering Podcast" here <----- 


Thank you for bearing with me through another episode of 

my column "A Collection of Firsts". 

Please stay tuned for more to come suuuuper  ๐Ÿ”œ

Commenti

Post piรน popolari