A Collection of Firsts : Volunteering work edition


A Collection of Firsts 

(in Romania, of all places)


➵ Volunteering work edition




1. First time trying out the teacher thing, and turns out I quite like it! I doubt I have the stomach to sustain it full time, though. 

2. First time working with a disadvantaged/discriminated against minority, Roma people. Quite tough, but worth all the trouble to see the kids smile and enjoy our time together. 

3. First time volunteering in a more official capacity. 
Though I had done some volunteering in my free time before, this is certainly my first experience with programs such as EVS or ESC, that is to say, an organized period of volunteering that resembles a quasi-job. 

4. First time working with so many of my peers from so many different countries and backgrounds. Absolutely love it, cannot recommend it enough! If everyone experienced what this means at least once in their lives, I imagine the world would be a much more loving place.

5. First time having so much free time at hand. Truly, in all of my years as a sham-adult, I had never felt so lost when it came to entertaining myself because honestly, I had grown unfamiliar with the concepts of free time, hobbies, and leisure. The months I spent in Resita, be it as it may because of Covid-19 and the quarantine, be it thanks to the light workload of an average volunteer, I was given the opportunity (aka forced) to rediscover ways to fill my days with pleasant or stimulating activities for myself, in complete freedom and autonomy! Eyeopening, I tell you. 

6. First time editing homemade videos for work. To keep us busy during quarantine, and to show our kids we had not forgotten them, we prepared videos about fun activities to do at home with everyday life materials. Challenging at times, but definitely worth it!

7. First time having to coordinate a large team of my peers. When you're leading an activity at kindergarten or in a school classroom, having a large team can be as much of a challenge as a strength. Teamwork, patience and determination are key to make the process work. 

8. First time having to manage life expenses on a limited budget. This one is just as jarring as it sounds. However, it was interesting for me to explore all the hacks to save up on a small salary. Surely a skill that will come in handy in the future (or not, fingers crossed!). 

9. First time working in almost complete autonomy. Volunteering revolves around taking initiative and finding the drive to work within yourself. It doesn't always happen easily, but practice and time will help you find a balance between acting independently and relying on colleagues and supervisors. Still, the weight of it mostly falls on your shoulders, so better be prepared to carry it!

10. First time working within my field of choice, i.e. NGO work and social development. I am grateful for the opportunity to dip my foot into these troubled waters. I had a taste of what it means to work within an NGO, and I was neither disappointed nor discouraged, though I am now aware of the many challenges it presents you with daily. 

☞ Stay tuned for the next "First time..." list. Pe curând!

Commenti

Post più popolari